Saturday, March 11, 2006

It's a Paddle


Here is the paddle with most of the shaping complete. The shafts have been rounded and the blades are shaped. All that is left is some finish sanding and to finish it. I have decided to put a layer of glass on the front and back of the paddle blade. I'm not comfortable with the purple heart's strength accross the grain.

The paddle is a little under 3 pounds now. It is a little on the heavy side. I may try to knock off a few more ounces before the finish. I'm very happy with the outcome so far. I can't wait to build a Kayak around it.









Here are some more details of the blade shaping. The transition between the blade and the shaft took a little time to make it look alright. Just a little more shaping and then it is out in the sun to darken the mahogony. I think I will keep working the rib down and make the edges a little more sleek.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home